Ghana Rock!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Running can be worship

Today's run began as a test of determination and will to simply build muscle and cardio endurance. But it ended up somewhere totally different.

I set out to run 6 miles today. Basically, doubling my normal run!

I took a nice brisk walk down to the greenway in the misty rain. I thought about not running because of the mist...wondering what I would do if it really started raining. I figured what the heck, lets go anyway.

When I got to the greenway and started my run, the song on my iPod changed to "Grace Like Rain" by Todd Agnew. Funny, I thought. It's raining. Okay, I'll take this rain as grace from God to finish this out today.

I spent just a little bit of time talking to God at the beginning of my run. I felt like He said just run, wave and say good morning to everyone you see and worship. And, that's just what I did. I love listening to worship music and I was singing along as I ran. Not out loud of course, but still moving my lips...I sort of wonder if people think that's weird but I've passed some runners before that are singing to themselves and I don't think it's weird so I figure I should just stop worrying about it! Said hi and good morning to as many people as I could, waving when I couldn't get the words out. LOL!

So, I was pretty surprised when I was actually coming up on mile 4! At about 4.5 miles, my legs are feeling like jello, I'm breathing pretty heavy and I'm thinking about stopping to walk a little. I say God, if you want me to go farther, I'm going to need some help. And the song changed. To "Believe" by Hillsong. Here's some of the lyrics: "You are my strength. You are my rock. You are strong enough in my weakness." And here's where you probably will think I'm weird. As I sang those words, I felt the wind change from being in my face, to on my back and it was cooler! I felt as I had a little push from behind to help me along. I smiled. God is so good and He is always with us. So I made it past mile 5! And the song changed again. "Everlasting God" by Lincoln Brewster. Here's some of those lyrics: "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord" "You comfort those in need. You lift us up on wings like eagles". And that's when I almost cried! Not from running more than 5 miles but because I know beyond a shadow of doubt that my God was running right there with me. Like I said, this may seem weird or not normal to you, but this is just how real God is in my life every.single.day. And when He's this real, how can I not talk about Him? It blows my mind that on a regular old Saturday morning He'd choose to run with me. But He did!!

So, I started out to run this morning simply determined to increase my distance, improve my endurance. But I ended up somewhere totally different. I ended up in church! Well, hopefully you know what I mean. I ended up humbled in awe at my loving God, who chose to run with me this morning to help me accomplish a personal goal.

Completed 6 miles in 1hr 7minutes. YAY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! 6 miles! Awesome!

    And I so get what you mean about what happened during the run. That's one of the things that I've always loved about running. I feel much closer to the Spirit then. I think that's one of the best forms of worship... feeling the wind and mist and the body that was made with love for you. You can feel alive and a deeper connection. It takes your mind off of the worldly things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks Lori. (I'm glad it made sense and connected!) That's really the 1st time I've experienced a run like that. It definitely makes me want to run more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ready for the 10k, Keep it up. I may need you to burn me one of thoes inspirational playlist you have.

    I need to get me some Hillsong and Jesus Culture.

    ReplyDelete